Mgr. Jakub Bulvas Stejskal, Ph.D.
Research and development staff, Department of Art History
Arna Nováka 1/1, 602 00 Brno
- Department of Art History
- Veveří 28, 60200 Brno, Czech Republic
- 2007 – 2014 PhD (Thesis Title: Second Nature: A Contribution to the Social Philosophy of Art) Department of Aesthetics, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic Supervisor: Prof. Vlastimil Zuska
- 2009 – 2010 Visiting PhD researcher Department of German, Royal Holloway, University of London, United Kingdom Supervisor: Prof. Andrew Bowie
- 2007 – 2008 Visiting PhD student Department of Philosophy, University of Glasgow, United Kingdom Supervisor: Dr Gary Kemp
- 2007 Mgr. (Master degree) Department of Aesthetics, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic
- Professional experience
- 2021 – … MASH Junior research group leader, Department of Art History, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
- 2020 – 2021 – Nomis Fellow, eikones – Center for the Theory and History of the Image, University of Basel, Switzerland, https://eikones.philhist.unibas.ch/de/persons/jakub-bulvas-stejskal/
- 2017 – 2020 Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter (Research Associate), Institut für Philosophie, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
- 2017 Visiting Assistant Professor (spring semester), Department of Aesthetics, Faculty of Arts, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic
- 2015 – 2017 Postdoc International Fellow, Dahlem Humanities Center, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/dhc/nachwuchs/fellowships/Jakub-Stejskal/index.html
- 2011 – 2015 Lecturer, Department of Aesthetics, Faculty of Arts, Charles University, Prague
- Teaching Experience
- 2018 – 2019 two graduate seminars (Hauptseminäre; in English) ‘Aesthetics of Spatial Art’ (spring semester 2018), ‘Art and Merit’ (spring semester 2019), Institut für Philosophie, FU Berlin.
- 2017 (spring semester) undergraduate course (lecture + seminar) ‘Theories of the Visual Arts’, Department of Aesthetics, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic. 2011 – 2015 undergraduate courses (in English and Czech) ‘Theories of the Visual Arts’ and ‘Semiotics’, Department of Aesthetics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Grants, Prizes, Fellowships
- 2021 MASH Junior Award, Masaryk University, Brno.
- 2020 NOMIS Fellowship, eikones – Center for the Theory and History of the Image, University of Basel, Switzerland. https://eikones.philhist.unibas.ch/de/personen/jakub-bulvas-stejskal/
- 2018 Dahlem Junior Host Program grant to fund two workshops with Prof. Bence Nanay (Cambridge/Antwerp), Dahlem Humanities Center, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany. https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/dhc/nachwuchs/djhp/hosts-and-guests-2018/index.html
- 2017 German Research Foundation (DFG) Fellowship (Eigene Stelle), Project: ‘Towards a Post-Formalist Aesthetics’, Institut für Philosophie, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany. http://gepris.dfg.de/gepris/projekt/341940171
- 2017 Czech Science Foundation Grant ‘Towards a Post-Formalist Aesthetics’, 3-year research position at Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic; declined in favour of the DFG Fellowship.
- 2015 Dahlem Research School Postdoc International Fellowship, Project ‘Between Enchantment and Disenchantment: Reconciling Philosophical and Anthropological Theories of Art’. Co-funded by the Marie Curie Action and the German Research Foundation, Dahlem Humanities Center, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany.
- 2009 Anglo-Czech Educational Fund fellowship for outstanding Czech PhD researchers, Department of German, Royal Holloway, University of London, Great Britain.
- Select Publications
- 1 ‘Aesthetic Archaeology’, Critical Inquiry 48 (2021): 144–66.
- 2 ‘Visual Style Hermeneutics: From Style to Context’, World Art 11 (2021): 201–27. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21500894.2021.1899984
- 3 ‘On the Historical Reconstruction of Aesthetic Attention: A Comment on Bence Nanay’s Aesthetics as Philosophy of Perception’, Studi di Estetica 47 (2019): 233–39. http://mimesisedizioni.it/journals/index.php/studi-di-estetica/article/view/775/122
- 4 ‘Substitution by Image: The Very Idea’, Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 77 (2019): 55–66, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jaac.12611
- 5 ‘The Substitution Principle Revisited’, Source: Notes in the History of Art 37 (2018): 150–57. https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/698425
- 6 ‘A Post-culturalist Aesthetics? A Commentary on Davis’s “Visuality and Vision”’, Estetika 54 (2017): 267–76. https://philpapers.org/archive/STEAPA-20.pdf
- 7 ‘Art’s Visual Efficacy: The Case of Anthony Forge’s Abelam Corpus’, RES: Anthropology and Aesthetics 67/68 (2016/17): 78–93. https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/692599
- 8 ‘Art and Bewilderment’, British Journal of Aesthetics 56 (2016): 131–47. https://academic.oup.com/bjaesthetics/article/56/2/131/2195143
- 9 ‘Art-Matrix Theory and Cognitive Distance: Farago, Preziosi, and Gell on Art and Enchantment’, Journal of Art Historiography, no. 13, 2015, https://arthistoriography.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/stejskal.pdf
- Professional Service
- 2017 – present Editorial Board, Umění / Art: Journal of the Institute of Art History, Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague, Czech Republic
- 2008 – present Associate Editor, Estetika: The European Journal of Aesthetics (Helsinki University Press)
- 2016 Grant Application Reviewer, Research Foundation Flanders (FWO), Belgium
- 2008 – 2012 Executive Board Member, European Society for Aesthetics