“Understanding through art is the highest form of human understanding.” T. G. Masaryk
The Aesthetics study programme is a modern type of university education, unique in its transdisciplinary character and wide-ranging humanities research as well as in its value in terms of general education and personal growth. The study programme deals with works of art and human creativity from the perspective of their historical and cultural contexts and by analysing their inner structure and message. The programme deepens the student’s ability to read, understand, and appreciate works of art, and to interpret many related social phenomena, such as taste, beauty, value, form, and meaning. The programme improves various soft skills and communicative abilities. It contains and combines many areas of humanities and sciences, from philosophy and literature, art and cultural history, to cognitive science and the theory of the mind.
A successful graduate is able to
- understand, analyse, and explain the main theories of art and culture from both historical and contemporary points of view, and to know the leading paradigms in the culture theory
- produce dignified written and oral communication in the fields of arts, literature, and culture
- possess detailed knowledge of cultural identities and art history up to the present, including knowledge of aesthetic values, norms, and functions in the modern global world
- enter professions which demand independent and well-educated thinking and writing
- conduct their own research into the theory of art and the history of culture and civilization
Graduates of the Aesthetics study programme are capable of producing dignified written and oral communication in the fields of arts, literature, and culture. They are equipped with detailed knowledge of cultural identities and art history up to the present, including knowledge of aesthetic values, norms, and functions in the modern world. They may enter professions which demand independent and well-educated thinking and writing, especially in public institutions of higher education, in media, and in culture management. The Bachelor’s degree study programme in Aesthetics trains students to interpret the phenomena of art and culture at both practical and theoretical levels. An education of this kind qualifies the graduate for work as a proof-reader, editor, cultural news writer, critic, or art adviser. Further suitable jobs may be found in the public administration of culture, in theatres, television, museums, galleries, and in other public and private cultural institutions.
|Faculty||Faculty of Arts|
|Type of study||bachelor's|
|Standard length of studies||3 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Aesthetics
Combinations with fields of other faculties
Faculty of Social Studies
Unfortunately no information about admission requirements is available.