Aesthetics and Culture Studies
Doctoral degree inor form. The language of instruction is English.
The programme can be studied only as a single subject. Tuition fee isper academic year.
Ph.D. Studies in English 2022/2023 - Spring 2023
Submission deadline until midnight 31 October 2022.
The aim of the Ph.D. study programme Aesthetics and Culture Studies is to prepare graduates for a career in the academic sphere or in commercial sphere, at positions where a high qualification is required with the specialization in the field of art and culture, journalism, politics, and education (theoretical approaches to translation, art, and digital humanities etc.). During their studies, students will get acquainted with theoretical approaches to modern aesthetics and semiotics of culture that reflect the situation of art from both synchronic and diachronic viewpoints. The Ph.D. study programme is organized within several sections corresponding to the scholarly orientation of members of the Department of Aesthetics (analytical aesthetics, history of aesthetics, semiotics, structuralism, philosophical approaches, experimental and empirical research etc.). Ph.D. students are required to participate in work of several of the sections, within which they work on their Ph.D. projects. Besides acquiring knowledge from the sphere of contemporary study of culture, they also learn elementary techniques of a research in humanities. Under the supervision of experts, students in higher courses of the Ph.D. study programme participate in teaching at the Department of Aesthetics, thus gaining elementary competences of a university teacher.
The artist's cognition is human cognition of the highest kind. T. G. Masaryk
The obligatory parts of the doctoral programme consist of individual practical training at some institution or social establishment, a stay abroad for the term of 1 month, and a semestral teaching course under supervision.
Other information at: http://www.phil.muni.cz/estetika/
The graduate is got ready to work at a wide range of cultural, social or artistic institutions, at boards of cultural or artistic journals, as a teacher. In all mentioned places he/she can aply acquired deeper knowledge about art or culture in contexts but also practical skills in identifying, describing, analyzing and proposing how to solve problems in art or everyday practice at artistic institutions.
Terms of Admission
- Submission of an electronic application in the Masaryk University Information System.
- Submission of one letter of recommendation.
- Submission of a copy of the applicants Master's Thesis (in English). If this is not available, an English-language summary of the thesis must be provided together with a minimum twenty-page sample of the applicant's academic or scholarly writing in English.
- Submission of a doctoral research project (about 3000 words in English) by October 31st (for the expected enrollment in the Spring semester) or April 30th (for the expected enrollment in the Autumn semester).
- Submission of a statement of motivation to pursue a doctoral degree in Aesthetics and Culture Studies at Masaryk University (in English).
- The admission procedure has two rounds. Based on the quality of the project, its compliance with the research profile of the department, and the availability of a suitable supervisor, projects can be shortlisted for the second round. The second round consists of a presentation of the project in front of the admission committee, followed by discussion and defense of the project. Based on this interview and the availability of a potential supervisor, the admission committee decides about recommending or not the admission.
1 January - 30 April for the enrollment in the Fall semester
1 July - 31 October for the enrollment in the Spring semester
Documents set out above in the Terms of Admission are required to be provided in digital form and attached to the online application by April 30th or October 31st.
|Provided by||Faculty of Arts|
|Type of studies|
|Standard length of studies||4 years|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Doctoral board and doctoral committees|
The studies are subject to tuition, fees are paid per academic year
Find out more