Information and Library Studies
We are interested in people, technology and information. We use design methods, look for technology in the company and learn from the data. We are developing the library tradition and looking for ways forward.
Přijímací řízení do navazujících magisterských programů - akad.rok 2021/2022 (zahájení: podzim 2021)
Submission deadline until midnight 30 Apr 2021
The main aim of the submitted study program is the preparation of highly qualified specialists for their subsequent application in professional professions both in the areas of library and information science, information science, academia, science, research, development and innovation. In the context of the field of Information and Library Studies, graduates are increasingly demanding the ability to integrate, critically evaluate and use acquired theoretical and applied knowledge of the field as well as transdisciplinary. The emphasis is on a deep insight into interdisciplinary overlaps including a methodological background, which closely relates to the qualitative shift in the establishment of quality language education into the educational curriculum and related learning outcomes, including both verbal and written oral expression of students and subsequent graduates in English. Strong emphasis is placed on the development of lifelong learning and creative thinking.
Therefore, the sub-objectives of the Masters Program following the above-mentioned core objectives include graduating from the Masters Program
- gaining knowledge and deep understanding of the literary and cultural discourse of the study program in the context of digital humanities both in mirroring the needs of the knowledge society and in connection with strategic and conceptual documents concerning the development of librarianship and information science;
- gained the relevant professional language competences ability to work systematically with foreign-language literature;
- gained profound knowledge and skills to work with data and information in various professional positions in a critical and ethical manner;
- gained the ability to interact, control and set up digital technology, equipment, information systems in human interaction with information;
- had media and information literacy, I would be able to deliberately make information available to users and actively operate in public space and civil society.
- gained strong theoretical knowledge of the field methodology and had the ability to apply methodology in his own field research practice.
The study program emphasizes the interconnection of pregradual preparation with the field of practice. The workplace has long been developed and is constantly expanding cooperation with institutions that provide relevant interaction between students and industry practice. In the curriculum, the Jobbox - a sophisticated and functional, and a system of offers and inquiries concerning practices, internships and field projects is still anchored. The Jobbox takes the form of a web portal that gathers demand and offers for students that are specified in the educational content of the optional subjects ISKM18 Practice and Placements and the ISKM19 Field Project.
Graduates are prepared to master the theoretical, methodological and ethical fundamentals of information science and librarianship, the creation and management of library and information systems, information education, work with information sources in digital libraries and database centers. They are able to apply theoretical knowledge in library and information practice using modern information and communication technologies. Within elective courses, they can focus on developing information services, processes and technologies to ensure them, work with literature and information resources, or providing information support to science. The curriculum emphasizes methodological and linguistic preparation, and graduates are also prepared to apply in the field of science, research and innovation in the field of information studies and librarianship, also in a transdisciplinary context.
Graduates will be employed in job positions focused on complex work with information:
- Libraries (professional librarians in the position of an acquirer, cataloger, collection manager, library systems administrator, teaching librarian, child librarian, reference librarian, search engineer, information services worker);
- Academic workplaces (academic librarians and experts providing information support to science and research);
- Information services in the public, non-profit and commercial sector (information systems experts, information management, analysis and interpretation of information, own business in the field of providing information services);
- Media, PR, advertising agencies (editors, publishers, redactors, information analysts);
- Advisory and educational activities (information systems experts, data and information management, information services design, informal and continuing vocational education lecturers).
Students have a pre-defined list of required courses, which are supplemented with selective and elective courses. The student pays full attention to the single field of study chosen.
Combinations with programmes from Faculty of Arts
Combinations with programmes from Faculty of Economics and Administration
An example of your study plan:
After graduating from the Master's program, Ph.D. studies in Philology, Media Studies, Contemporary Arts and other creative industries can be continued at the Faculty of Arts, the Faculty of Social Studies or the Pedagogical Faculty of Masaryk University, or at other universities.
|Provided by||Faculty of Arts|
|Type of studies|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||Czech|
Do you have any questions?
Send us an e-mail
PhDr. Petr Škyřík, Ph.D.