for students studying in programs accredited in English

Do you need assistance with arranging your long-term residence permit?

Contact our student buddy at He/she will help you to make an appointment at the MOI office (to call the MOI and arrange the date), and he/she will accompany you to the MOI office (interpret for you), etc.

My visa is about to expire. What shall I do?

Your long-term visa has been issued for 6 or 12 months. Before it expires, you have to apply for a long-term residence permit with the purpose of studies.

When shall I apply for the residence permit?

120 days – 1 day before your visa expires.

Where can I get general information about the residence permit?

Check the website of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic. There you will find information about an administrative fee, application procedure, and decision to issue a long-term residence permit.

The time limit for issuing a decision on an application for a long-term residence permit for the purpose of studies is 60 days (but in case there is a document missing, they will interrupt the process and you will be asked to submit the missing document).

Where shall I apply for the residence permit? Where is the MOI office?

MOI office Brno

Tuřanka 1554/115b, 627 00 Brno

Tel.: +420 974 801 801 (information and appointment line; Mo - Th: 8.00 - 16.00 and  Fr: 8.00 - 12.00)

Opening hours:  Mo, We: 8.00 - 17.00
                        Tu, Th: 8.00 - 14.00
                         Fr: by invitation only

Online reservation here

Ministry of Interior offers to the caller the closest term for appointment possible. It is not checked whether offered term falls within the time limit prescribed by the law for the respective legal acts (i.e. for submission of the application).

Please notice the limited service of MoI office Brno. Access to the MoI office is possible primarily with an appointment. Information you can find here.
Thank you for your understanding.

What documents do I need?

Always check the website of the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic. You will have to submit an application with the following documents.

The required documents shall not be older than 180 days except for the travel document and the photograph of the foreign national if it corresponds to his/her actual appearance.

What kind of documents do I need?
Where can I get the documents?
travel document  
document confirming the purpose of your stay in the territory

Your study advisor will issue a confirmation of studies for you when you fulfill conditions for enrolment to the next semester (you need to complete successfully at least 20 ECTS credits for the current semester OR 45 ECTS credits for the current and the previous semester). In case of doubts please contact your study advisor at

proof of accommodation

If you are staying in the dorms you will have to extend your contract and ask your accommodation provider at to send a confirmation of the extension to the MOI office via the databox.

The dorms send the confirmation by the databox to relevant authorities only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Thus, ask for your confirmation in advance.

Confirmation can be issued only if you have paid all the receivables and your SUPO account does not show debt for accommodation.

If you are staying in a private property you will need an officially certified copy of your rental agreement.


35 mm x 45 mm

proof of funds

A bank statement (our buddy can help you to get this document in your bank). The documents must prove that your total monthly income will not be lower than the sum of subsistence minimum (3 860 CZK) and the highest amount of normative housing costs (8 577 CZK) or housing costs you actually spend.

proof of travel medical insurance

Your medical insurance must cover the whole period of the residence that you applying for (typically 1 year). We highly recommend PVZP insurance company since Masaryk University has an agreement with this company (your complex health insurance will cost you less when using this contact and ordering your health insurance here). PVZP health insurance company will also cover expenses related to the COVID-19 treatment.

upon request a document similar to an extract from the Penal Register record  
upon request a document proving the fulfillment of conditions set out in the measure of the Ministry of Health on prevention of the spread of infectious illnesses (Medical report)  

Contact our buddy at or leave him/her a message here:


You are running an old browser version. We recommend updating your browser to its latest version.