Foreign stays for PhD students at the Faculty of Arts MU

Within the framework of doctoral education, it is essential that students gain independent international experience so that they gradually become independent researchers after graduation. A study abroad placement is an important activity within doctoral studies that develops the student, the university and the faculty.

Part of the study obligations during the doctoral study programme is a study or research stay at a foreign institution of at least one month.


Doctoral students choose between four types of stays:

  • study stay - a key part of the stay is enrolling in courses at the host university
  • research placement - a doctoral student works on his/her thesis, e.g. in a library or archive, no courses are registered abroad
  • practical placement (work placement, 40h/week requirement) 
  • summer school

Study Placements

Doctoral students are allowed to go on a study stay, e.g. through Erasmus+ Europe, CEEPUS, Freemovers. It is also possible to go through partner universities, to draw Visegrad scholarship or Fulbright scholarship.

Detailed conditions for individual programmes can be found on the MU Centre for International Cooperation website.

Research Placements and Conferences

Our faculty offers the possibility of funding a research placement through the Scholarship Programme to support the international mobility of doctoral students (official name: Measure FF MU 1/2023). Submit your application through IS to your Doctoral Studies Officer at the Study Department. Before applying, you must register the placement in the IS MU and upload any approved Learning Agreement for the placement.

For more information regarding the program requirements and the mandatory components of the application form, please see the link below (Measure FF MU 1/2023). You can find the text and instructions on how to apply for the scholarship.

Measure FF MU 1/2024

From the academic year 2023/2024, short-term traineeships for PhD students are offered at the Faculty of Arts under the Erasmus+ programme. More information on this programme can be found here. Application deadline for the Faculty of Arts: will be announced in November each year. The application is made via ISOIS system


Going on a research stay through the CEEPUS programme is also possible. Here you will find information about the application form and which networks are available at our faculty. Travelling for research purposes through the DAAD programme, Visegrad scholarships, inter-faculty or intergovernmental agreements is also possible. You can also use the Freemovers programme , Fulbright Scholarships, the Masaryk Distinguished Chair in Israel or the Utrecht Network Young Researchers Grant.

Research Placements - CIC MU website

If students travel to conferences, they can use funding through Measure 4/2021 - Scholarship Programme to Support Participation of Doctoral Students in Conferences Abroad. 

Measure FF MU 4/2021


You can go on a PhD traineeship (practical internship) as a Freemover or e.g. through the Erasmus+ programme. 

You can find the conditions for practical internships through individual programmes on the MU Centre for International Cooperation website.

Summer Schools

Doctoral students have the opportunity to go to summer schools through MU partner universities, summer schools organised by DAAD, funded by AKTION or e.g. through intergovernmental agreements.

You can find the conditions for individual programmes on the MU Centre for International Cooperation website.

  • Plan your study abroad period

    Preferably at the beginning of your PhD studies, we recommend you to look at the study abroad options, programme conditions and especially the application deadlines so that you can plan your study abroad stay in line with the application to the relevant programme.

  • Consult the intention of your stay

    Together with your supervisor at MU, discuss the location, purpose and destination of your stay. You should also inform the departmental coordinator/authorized person who will approve the Learning Agreement of your intention.

  • Go through the selection procedure of the selected programme

    Doctoral students at the MU Faculty of Arts most often choose programmes such as Freemover, Support for International Mobility of Doctoral Students, Special Grant for Short-term Placements, etc.

    More information on research programmes can be found on this page ↑ in the Research Placements and Conferences tab.

  • Enter your stay in IS

    For international student trips: enter your stay in IS (using the Internships and stays application in the Student section) and upload a pdf of your completed and approved Learning Agreement. If you are going on a work placement, you complete a Training Agreement.

    Steps for entering records in IS MU

  • Fill in the Learning Agreement

    You fill in the Learning Agreement electronically via ISOIS MU. If you are going through Erasmus, you create an LA for Erasmus, if you are going through another programme, you create an LA for other programmes. It is also important to know whether the programme is administered at the faculty by International Office, such as CEEPUS, AKTION, Measure No. 1/22 (in this case, select Šárka Hakalisto as the faculty coordinator) or at the MU CIC (Freemover, Spec. grant for short-term placements).

    If you are going on a research stay and you plan to work e.g. in a library, archive or consult with a supervisor at a foreign university, describe your stay very briefly in the course text box in the LA interface (include the date, place, destination of the trip, if applicable with whom you are going to consult your topic).

    After confirmation from your side, the notification goes automatically to the person in charge of the department (home coordinator), after approval to the selected person for the International Office at FA MU/CIC MU (depending on where the programme is administered, i.e. faculty coordinator) and lastly the notification goes to the contact person you have indicated for the host university.

    Guide for learning agreement

  • Apply for a scholarship

    Once you have your placement entered in IS and a confirmed Learning Agreement uploaded, you can apply for a scholarship. For the Support for International Mobility of Doctoral Students programme - you apply to the Study Department. You can apply for a study programme at the Faculty of Arts MU (contact person Mgr. Jiří Žoudlík), applications are submitted throughout the year. For the Freemover programme or the Special Grant for Short-term Placements - you apply at the MU CIC (contact person Mgr. Zita Hrabovská).

  • When you return, close the process

    At the end of your stay, do not forget to ask the host university to sign the Confirmation of Study Period (a template can be found on the website of the Centre for International Cooperation in the documents section, see the link bellow). In case you are taking courses abroad, you should also receive the Transcript of Records.

    If you are going on a work placement, you submit the Confirmation of Placement Period.

    In the case of a research placement in a library or archive, the Confirmation of Study Period can be replaced by a  confirmation from the host institution (it must contain information regarding the place, time and content of the placement and it should be confirmed by the supervisor at the host institution).

    Upload the documents in the evidence of your stay in IS and apply for recognition.

    Documentation and Recognition of Placements


We recommend that all mobility is recorded regardless of the length of stay - conferences, summer schools and other short- and long-term study trips abroad. Online mobility (virtual mobility) is also recorded.


Cotutelles (doctoral studies in shared leadership)

If you are a cotutelles student, you are going abroad on the basis of a dual mentoring agreement that you have entered in the IS for your doctoral studies. Keep a record of each trip because of the internationalisation of the department - make a Learning Agreement.

You are running an old browser version. We recommend updating your browser to its latest version.